Monday, March 10, 2008

3 Months later...

It has been just over three months since my adventure around the world. I have hesitated to write this entry for a while. Part of me has waited for more closure or some new revelation. The truth is that I changed while I was gone and I am still trying to get used to being home. Nothing is going to smack me in the face as a new revelation and I am not really going to get any more closure. I'm okay with that. I am a new person, passionate about new things, and I know a lot of new people. I miss them, tremendously. It really is kind of crazy how in such a short period of time I could become so close to so many people that allowed me to be exactly who I am. Thanks to all of them. I also truly appreciate all of the support from home before I left, while I was gone, and since I've been home. My family and friends here are truly incredible.

I have to quote myself again and say indescribable - that is still what my fall 2007 experience is to me. People ask how it was and all I can say is it was awesome and there are no words to describe it. It is kind of like describing God or an interaction with Him. You know how it felt and how it still feels, but you can't really explain it unless someone else has experienced the same thing. I have also found myself trying to reconnect with people that I met while abroad. This has helped me to transition back - as a way of holding on to that time in my life while moving on.

At this point, I miss so much from the ship and that period of time. I miss this ship itself, the dynamic living environment and all that went with it. I miss the people, my friends, the faculty, the crew, and Captain Jeremy's voice telling me to go to the muster station. I also miss "the voice" telling me to sleep an extra hour tonight by retarding the clock. I miss having my bed made everyday. I miss arriving in a new country every week. I miss meeting new people from diverse backgrounds. I miss bargaining. I miss being exposed to things that I didn't even know existed. I miss the children - the precious innocent kids that I got to meet while abroad that helped me realize that kids everywhere are pretty much the same - they want to play and have fun. I miss getting rocked to sleep every night by the ocean.

3 comments:

Tim_Wiltjer said...

Haha...i get to be the first to comment...Kristen, i agree completely...and totally miss everything, including Captain Jeremy's voice telling us we need to go stand outside in 90 degree weather wearing pants and a sweatshirt, and of course closed toe shoes...hope ur having a great semester

Anonymous said...

Kristen your post made me cry and Tim your comment made me laugh...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!