Saturday, November 24, 2007

Egypt




As I am sitting in an internet cafe in Barcelona, Spain, I will try to update briefly my time in Egypt. As you may have read, my computer is broken, so I have actually written a blog, but i am unable to post it because it is on my broken computer.

Egypt -
Day 1: Alexandria to Cairo to Luxor (Cairo to Luxor by overnight train)
Day 2: Luxor - Valley of The Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, Karnak Temple (we walked in tombs that were over 3000 years old, it was AWESOME) then flight to Cairo
Day 3: Cairo - PYRAMIDS AT GIZA - this was so surreal for me.. seeing the pyramids as I was riding a camel in the desert.. wow, no words!
Day 4: Cairo Museum - more Egyptian artifacts than they know what to do with, then train to Alexandria
Day 5: Alexandria Library and walking around city

Egypt was great! I was warned about traveling there independent of SAS and did not feel the fears were justified at all. The trip was amazing. Arab people are great, they are warm and friendly - not at all like how they are portrayed by American media. I had a nice conversation with an Egyptian man about politics. He found out that I was from America (after some good guessing.. they thought I was from about any country in Europe, which is a compliment because I didn´t look or act American, which does not necessarily have the best connotation). When he found out he turned his head and acted like he didnt want to talk to me anymore. After we talked for a while, he basically said that he likes Americans as people, but dislikes the American government and foreign policy. After traveling quite a bit, I realize that this is the way many people feel around the world. It is good, though, that (unlike many Americans) people can tell the difference between the people and the government or the stereotypes. Hopefully, my friends and I have helped to change the stereotype.

I will definitely write more later .. i already have, i just cant post it - but I will just say that Egypt was awesome, it is the reason why I went on the Fall voyage, instead of the Spring and I am so glad that I did. It was amazing to see heiroglyphics that were carved thousands of years ago and paint on walls that scholars are still unsure how it got there. I am so glad that I got to go there... it was amazing!!!

No comments: